Saturday, December 18, 2010

The 7 best books I read this year.

I had a borderline obsessive approach to reading this past year. I believe it simultaneously amazed and frustrated my Wife and unfortunately made my wallet a bit lighter in the process. I must say I read a good amount of great books and only a few weaker ones, nothing really that "sucked". While I throw terms like suck around a lot for other forms of entertainment, it's hard for me to dislike a book, even if it isn't all that. I am a sucker for the written word.

To think it was only a few years ago that the only book thicker then a comic that I ever really opened was a graphic novel or occasional Stephen King. And it's quite unbelievable to me that I was irritated by people that said stuff like "I like to read more then watch television or movies". I have now realized that there is actually no better way to get entrenched in a story then in the pages of a good book. These 7 in particular are the cream of the crop of 2010, not necessarily published this year but my favorite nonetheless.



Only by a slight margin, perhaps the best of the bunch. A sweeping epic and an intimate coming of age story, a gritty but whimsical science fiction adventure and ultimately a commentary on how we treat one another. Gonzales' writing is simple, fast and exciting and by the end he makes us believe in his world and fall head over heels for for his half human, half ape heroine.





Completing this epic by the master himself was truly a test of patience. Not only did it require a few weeks of carrying around a book that could double as a cinder block but it was chock-full of characters and sub plots and became the longest book I ever finished reading (the first would of been The Stand, ironically, but it eventually lost the attention of a 15 year old me) In the end it was well worth it. No other author could have captured the terror and desperation of a town trapped in a mysterious bubble like King.





Just when I thought I had my fill of books that a gangster could tie to his enemies' leg just before throwing him in the lake I found myself following up Under the Dome with a a novel just as big physically and a saga that is even more vast then King's. Justin Cronin's story is a grand science fiction/horror/fantasy adventure that seemed to be created solely for the purpose of being adapted for the big screen. (And of course it will be by Ridley Scott in the next few years) In a literary and film world filled with shirtless, undead fairy boys it was refreshing to experience a truly scary vampire story not primped and proper for 15 year old girls.




Easily them most fun I had while reading in my life. Several laugh out moments from a man that is quickly becoming my favorite author. Jonathan Tropper's writing is all at once genuine, hysterical, honest and moving. A simple tale about a young man returning to his family when his father passes away, but still manages to be a page turner. Even if you don't like to read, pick this book up and give the first chapter a chance.



While it's not even in the same ball park as perhaps my favorite novel of all time Life of Pi, it's a worthy follow up. Perplexing, challenging and actually a little bit scary. Critics seemed to hate it and I truthfully couldn't help to be a bit let down as I made my through it, in the end though having a little bit of patience with the author paid off. Letting the story unravel the way Martel wants it to is the key, it sneaks up on you when you finish.




Steve Martin. Yes, the Steve Martin is a hilarious man and it comes through in every page. A small, insanely funny book that never really goes anywhere (like its protagonist) but is a great read nonetheless.




Outside of his music the Abbot of the Wu-Tang Clan has much to show the world, this is only the beginning. It's written in the same way that the RZA speaks, so if it's hard for you to follow many different ideologies and theories all in the same very long run on sentence, stay away. One part biography, one part history of the Clan, one part self help book, one part reference guide to Religion, etc, etc...all RZA. Like the man himself both apologetically gritty and over the top enlightening.

No comments: