Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Random things, can't sleep.

Some banging Star Wars poster redesigns by artist Tyler Stout:


---------------------------------------------------------------


The good folks over at the Huffington Post led me to the original Space Jam website *that has somehow managed to float around cyberspace for the past 14 years or so.

*It's truly remarkable to see how much the internets have changed since their early days all the way back in 1996, so
after perusing through the ancient site for a bit it got me thinking about Hit Em High. While most of the world was spinning R. Kelly's I believe I Can Fly nonsense in their Discmans, my boys and I were tripping of a lesser known joint from the original soundtrack. Fear the MONSTAR'S ANTHEM.


---------------------------------------------------------------

The Race Card

I received the WWE's Top 50 Superstars of All Time DVD for Christmas. While the DVD is fun there are several perplexing and disconcerting things about list itself. Now I understand these types of things only really matter to other grown ass men like myself that have watched professional wrestling since Reagan was in office and can understand the weird nuances that surround it, so if you're one of them you might feel me on this one.

The one truly inconceivable thing about the list is the number 6 spot. Following a top 5 that all fans would probably agree on in some capacity (HBK, Undertaker, Austin, Hitman, Rock) comes HARLEY RACE.

Yes Harley Race. Now I can only go off of my childhood memories of the guy since I didn't get to experience his work in his heyday of the 1930's...but what I remember is a whiskey barrel shaped old man in purple tights, with bad prison tattoos on his forearms, calling himself the King. I will bow to no man with bad tattoos. And while I only saw his matches in retrospect on the old Coliseum Home Videos, I was witnessing King Haku live at Wrestlemania 5.

Now King Haku was a much more intriguing guy. He was from a mysterious island in the pacific named TONGA, he spoke no English, just seemed to growl and snarl and was carried out to the ring on a throne, by other human beings. As a 7 year old with an imagination running away from me, I could only helplessly come to believe that Haku led a cannibalistic uprising of henchmen that dethroned Race in some capacity. Probably involving mass beatings and pillaging.

---------------------------------------------------------------

National Geographic just released their most stunning photos of the year. Something about this lion right here.



That lion knows some things man.

No comments: